Housing Choice Voucher Coordinator
ENTRY LEVEL SALARY: $44,755-- FULL-TIME
OFFICE LOCATION: DOVER, DE
OPENING DATE: 06/28/19 CLOSING DATE: 07/15/19
This non-State position, located in Dover Delaware, is responsible for the administration of the Section 8 Certificate and Voucher Occupancy Office, including the training and supervision of office staff. A significant element of the work involves developing and implementing procedures for negotiating nearly several hundred residential dwelling leases and contracts with private landlords.
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
1. Knowledge of federal, State and local laws, regulations, and policies as they pertain to the Section 8 program.
2. Knowledge of social service programs and other resources of community, government and private agencies.
3. Skill in dealing with the public.
4. Ability to collect, analyze and interpret data and make sound judgments based on data.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, subordinates, representatives of non-profit agencies and the general public.
6. Ability to evaluate issues, explain rules and regulations.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SCREENING.
Essential functions are fundamental, core and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties. Since specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
• Coordinate, assign and assess office work flow. Train, evaluate and supervise Housing Payment Specialists and Inspection and Recertification Specialists. Ensure Housing Quality Standards (HQS) are met and enforced as required by HUD and State Housing Code. Ensure all daily operations are in accordance with federal, State and local laws, regulations and policies.
• Review Requests for Lease Approval and schedule initial, annual, and special HQS inspections. Correspond with landlords and tenants to ensure they understand Section 8 rent subsidies, utility allowances and other program policies and procedures. Act as
advocate in cases where tenants have difficulty negotiating with landlords.
• Schedule annual Section 8 tenant recertification process. Ensure all tenant income, family composition, and rent information is complete, verified and accurately entered into the computer system in a timely manner. Coordinate with the accounting section to resolve any discrepancies in subsidy payment information.
• Conducts lease negotiations of rental residential dwelling units for use by low income clients. Collects and prepares area rental data for use in negotiations. Maintains an inventory of properties available for lease.
• Reviews and investigates allegations of tenant and landlord fraud and abuse. Represents DSHA at seminars and meetings; holds landlord orientation workshops; interacts with representatives of government and private agencies representing tenants and landlords.
These include up to 15 vacation days and 15 sick day leave accrual, up to 13 paid holidays a year, liberal retirement benefits, health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, and life insurance plans as well as various supplemental benefit options.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Applications must be completed by the closing date of _July 15, 2019 on our website www.destatehousing.com (Click on About Us, Employment, Click Here to View All Current Openings, Select job, Scroll Down & Click “Apply Now”.) Contact: e-mail: email@example.com
DSHA IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. Please call DSHA at 302.739.4263 or 888.363.8808 with any questions or requests. TTY/ ASCII/ VOICE/ VCO users may utilize the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 800.676.3777.
DIRECT DEPOSIT OF PAY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FAILURE TO AGREE TO PARTICIPATE IN DIRECT DEPOSIT WILL RESULT IN THE WITHDRAWAL OF OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT. DSHA HAS A LAG PAY SYSTEM.